Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sydney

Sydney was great. I walked so much that my legs were killing me every night but that’s how it is when you backpack. The first day I walked to the Opera house from the hostel, and all around the bay and harbour. The next day I went on the indoors tour of the Opera House. Apparently they built half of it bellow sea level, which seems very counter-intuitive. Why built something underwater, where it will be under ridiculous pressure from the ocean when you could just build it higher and avoid all that. Then I went down to the aquarium and wildlife world.

On the third day I took a ferry to the Taronga zoo, which was alright. Seemed like all the same animals as any zoo, elephants, giraffes, lions and tigers… all animals that I associate with Australia of course. It was also 41 degrees that day. I was in my pants and a long sleeved shirt (to protect my already sunburnt arms). So it was a pretty rough day. Then on my final day I went to the Museaum of Australia, yeah Im a nerd, but it had some good exhibits. Then to the Opera House in the evening, they had set up a giant tv screen opposite the steps of the Opera House showing the Australian Open tennis, so we watched a bit of that. It was a breathtaking view in the twilight.

Its always the way with backpacking, after about 5 days you’ve seen enough of the area, but you’re staring to make good friends in the hostel. Along with the sites of Sydney I will definitely always remember my Irish buddies, and a certain Italian lady.