Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Elaborate Scheme


I never told my sister I was driving down to Minneapolis with my parents. I thought it would be quite the pleasant surprise. I'm a horrible liar though, so I basically avoided even speaking with her on the phone for like two weeks before we left.

The days preceeding the drive I sent my sister e-mails exclaiming 'I can't believe I'm going to have the house to myself for two weeks' and 'I can't wait for them to leave'. Then on route I even sent an e-mail from the motel we stayed at claiming that I could finally sleep in in the morning now that my parents were finally gone.

Then when we arrived I got out of the car a block away and walked with my backpack, pillow, and a carton of milk we had just purchased (assuming my sister wouldn't have stocked up on that as she would have had she known I was coming). So a few minutes after my parents arrived I knocked on the front door.

She was pretty shocked, she had no idea at all. It was a pretty sweet surprise. Unfortunately, not knowing I was arriving meant that there was nowhere for me to sleep. I'm pretty sure I was gonna end up on the couch anyway though.

Next up: booking my flights.

Dan